By Dr. Soonrita Taneja, Ayurveda,
Joint pain can be an outcome of an injury or a disorder. Joint pains might be caused due to arthritis or muscle pain. The pain can be mild or severe depending on your condition. Knee pain is the most common type of joint pain followed by the hip and the shoulder. In rare conditions, people experience a piercing pain in their wrists and ankles. Usually, the pain in the joints is followed by stiffness and an inability to move.
Causes of Joint Pain:
- Joint infections
- Bone infections
- Strain in the joints
- Old age
- Rheumatoid arthritis
Ayurveda can prove to be very useful in relieving joint pains as the Ayurvedic remedies penetrate to the root cause of the problem and help in curing it. Listed below are a few remedies you can avail of to cure excessive pain in the joints:
- Dhanwantharam Thailam: This particular Ayurvedic oil can be very useful in curing joint pain caused because of excess ‘vata’ in the body. The oil massaged onto your joints can also help in relieving pain caused because of rheumatoid arthritis, spondylitis and neuro-muscular conditions. It is made of various herbs such as yava, kola, kulatha and balamoola.
- Practicing yoga daily can also help in relieving stiffness in the joints and making movements in the joints less painful.
- One tablespoon of fenugreek (methi) seeds mixed with lukewarm water can be consumed twice daily to cure pain in joints.
- Turmeric is an amazing anti-oxidant containing ‘curcumin’ which has anti-inflammatory properties. These can relieve swelling in the joints. One teaspoon of turmeric mixed in a glass of warm milk can help in reducing joint pains.
- Cayenne pepper contains ‘capsaicin’ which has pain-relieving properties and can prove to be beneficial in curing joint pains.